Sunday, October 9, 2016

OUGD504: Studio Brief 01 - Design Production - Every Book Starts with an Idea - Notes for Designers

After reading the extract from Every Book Starts with an Idea I decided to write a few memorable quotes and why I have chosen these quotes. "All these books have to be designed. Someone needs to decide which paper, typography, cover, to use." - I never really considered how much goes into a book or publication until last year. There are so many factors to be considered down to the stock and how it's going to print. The set up of the document is vital to the way the pages come out of the printer. As this module is print production this all needs to be considered heavily. "We have learned by doing, as mistakes are inherent to the job of making books through trial and error." My publication last year turned out horrendous to what I had imagined. I feel like I needed to practise the actual binding and layout of the book so that I was happy with the finished product. A lot of experimentation needs to happen and I need to work out how to do things so that I am happy with my publication this time. "All books start from their content." The idea must be clear and concise. The target audience etc need to be considered to the last detail so that the content and aesthetic of the book all align. The actual content of the book is so important to the production of the book. "Books are bound in signatures of 4, 8, 16 or 32 pages. You realise that page 1 sits next to page 16 on a printing sheet." This is important as I need to consider what size to make my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment