Friday, January 15, 2016

OUGD406: People's History Museum








































































Today we went to the People's History Museum in Manchester. The purpose of this educational trip was to look at the Show Me The Money exhibition. I wasn't sure what to expect with this exhibition however, I did find some interesting concepts within the art work such as the pulping of the exact amount of money for a fine art degree to create a piece of work (Thomas Gokey). Also, I found the illustrative work quite interesting because I like that visual identity within art. I did not however enjoy the cynical aspect of the exhibition. In a summary I would say that the exhibition depicted money from perspectives that it is he route of sadness and despair as demonstrated by the "pain but none of the gain" and the visuals of sad people surrounding aspects of money. It conveyed a very materialistic and consumerist outlook on money.  

I really liked the wayfinding and architecture of the building. The way finding was bright against the stripped back architectural design because of the vibrant yellow typography which stayed consistent throughout the building. The actual architecture looked very rustic with the designs on the walls and ceilings. This is an aspect that I could take forward into the design of the money as a concept because money deteriorates as time goes on and it gets passed around so each person that uses it contributes to the deterioration of the money. However, I would really like to consider a more illustrative concept towards the brief. 

No comments:

Post a Comment